[asterisk-users] X100P Burnouts

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Feb 14 14:49:29 CST 2008

Quoting Brent Davidson <brent at texascountrytitle.com>:

> I considered doing just that, but since I didn't have my scope with me
> and it's an hour's drive away it didn't seem worth it at this point.
> If we have trouble again I may take the scope down there and test it.

unless the cable is in the same spot (relative to coil, ground, other
metal), loaded with the same impedance characteristics as an x100p,
etc etc you might not measure anything meaningful anyway. you'd have
to wire the scope across it somehow in place without destroying the
experiment with the scope leads themselves adding another end of line
leg that is not the x100p.

I would say you are probably correct in the assumption, and everyone
should just bear this sort of thing in mind. if in doubt its easy to
plug in through a power bar with phone surge supressor close to the
end of the run, or one of the many other devices that do the same thing.

> -Brent
>
> Steve Edwards wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Brent Davidson wrote:
>>

>>> That 3 foot cable run passes behind a
>>> 21" monitor that was connected to the server.  When the line tests
>>> showed everything OK, I decided the monitor might be a long shot but I
>>> could understand how the degaussing coil coil could possibly induce a
>>> surge on the phone line if the monitor was somehow degaussing nightly,
>>> so I unplugged the monitor's power cable and left everything else as it
>>> was.  So far so good.  X100p #4 is still working this morning, so it
>>> looks like the problem is solved.  Hope this helps someone else later on.
>>>

>> Indicative, but not conclusive.
>>
>> It would be interesting to disconnect the "pairs" from the x100p's
>> and plug them into an oscilloscope or something similar and
>> power-cycle, auto-tune, sleep-mode, and degauss the tube to see if
>> your assumption is reasonable.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com