[asterisk-users] Error checking asterisk method - suggestions?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Feb 14 06:44:54 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 01:17:45PM +0100, Johan Sandgren wrote:
> Hi there dear users and dear developers of Asterisk!
>

> I've got a maybe strange idea, let's see if you laugh or think it's reasonable J
>
> I'm using Asterisk with Digium TDM800P cards with 24 lines (as an answering machine).
> Each analog line can be reached through a phonenumber, since they are each connected to my telephone provider. Yes expensive I know J
>

> The challenge:
>
> I'd like to somehow verify that my 1) TDM800P cards and 2) the analog lines, and 3) my operator is alive and working, and I have an Idea which I wonder if will/could work.
>
> My first idea was to ask the zap-driver if it could detect if the line
> was ok, but no function existed to do that, what I could find. Anyone
> knows about one?

What do you mean by "line is OK"?

> My second idea, was to try calling simply, to know if things were ok.
> But, I couldn't just call any number, I had to know the number was in
> use, and not disturbing anyone.
> So, I called myself, or I called another of my phonelines.

And you assume noone else calls in at the time?

> So,
> I'd like to use the asterisk manager interface in java to originate a
> call from one ZAP-channel, calling out to my telephone provider,
> And then they will direct the call back to my, but into another
> ZAP-channel (since I'm calling that channel's number).

For a basic test that the line works, try TestClient and TestServer .
Originate a call from testclient (and set there the number. And set all
incoming calls temporarily to go to TestServer (did I mention the
assumption that noone calls in?)

One relatively cheap method of "temporary" is through setting a global
variable to a non-standard value. This means that the non-default value
will never last after a reload. And you can set the global even through
'core set global VARNAME VALUE' in the CLI.

Check the resulting reports in /var/lib/asterisk/testresults . Make sure
all of them were generated, and that none "FAIL"-ed.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com