[asterisk-users] LCR in Asterisk

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Feb 12 23:14:58 CST 2008

Rizwan Hisham wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am planning to implement LCR routing on my already running asterisk
> server. Uptill now i have found out that asterisk has no support for
> lcr, i have to do something about it myself, for example using the AGI.
> Im looking for ideas here. Whats the best way to start implementing lcr
> in asterisk. Should i use agi and start implementing my own lcr script
> or is there any plugin available which can be used with asterisk.

If you are interested in prebuilt solutions, you may consider
TransNexus's NexOSS product (www.transnexus.com).  The Open Settlement
Protocol (OSP) they implemented can be used with Asterisk - they have a
module.  In fact, I am not sure about the commercial status of the OSP
module as such;  it may be possible to get it free of charge.  Not sure.
  But OSP is an open protocol, so perhaps it's possible.

Otherwise, I would think that the best way to approach this would be to
make it fully outboard and divest it of Asterisk.  Implement a SIP proxy
that forwards to providers using LCR decisionmaking, and just have
Asterisk send calls to it.  OpenSER can be used for this - and indeed,
there is an OSP module for it as well, if you wanted to go that route.

If you're dead-set on doing it in Asterisk and don't want to do OSP, I
would suggest FastAGI.  Definitely don't implement the logic in the dial
plan, at any cost.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems