[asterisk-users] G729 without licence

Jan Marek jmarek at jcu.cz
Tue Feb 12 01:52:18 CST 2008

Hello all,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:38:50PM +0000, Thomas Kenyon wrote:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am running Asterisk 1.4.17. I have 2 Linksys SPA3102's and one
> > PAP2-NA (I have a second on order). They have G729a built into them.
> > This is supposed to be compatable with G729. I was trying to have them
> > use that codec when they talk to each other, but it seems they always
> > switch to alaw or ulaw (depending on my sip.conf file). Shouldn't they
> > be able to use G729a in passthru when connecting to each other? My
> > PAP2 and one SPA3102 are on the LAN, but I have one remote 3102 that
> > I'd like to use lower bandwidth codec with.
> >
> The PAP2 can only use G.729 on one channel at a time, have you used SIP
> debug to find out what's going on?
>
> Have you checked the codec order inside the ATAs themselves?
>
> Don't forget, you can only use G.729 if there is no need to transcode
> it. (ie. no recording and no conferencing).

IMHO you cannot use this codec, when asterisk act as proxy and
need translating between codecs (one client negotiate G729 and
second one negotiate somethink other, for example G711a)

> > Tim Johnson

Sincerely
Jan Marek
--
Ing. Jan Marek               | Nez mi poslete prilohu .doc, .xls
University of South Bohemia  | nebo .ppt, prectete si, prosim,