[asterisk-users] OT: Recommendation for EDGE/3GPP SIP phone?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Feb 11 17:39:33 CST 2008

I'm looking to ditch my GSM phone with Cingular and provide my own
calling services with Asterisk hanging my phone off the Edge or 3GPP
network...  Luckily, I have the option (through my employer) of getting
a data-only plan.

My question is, other than the Nokia E61i or E70, what phones will do
SIP-over-EDGE or SIP-over-3GPP?  The iPhone doesn't yet have a SIP
client, and it's EDGE-only.

There are probably knowledgeable folks out there that have tested/used
such devices.

Bonus points for one that's WIFI capable (I don't think my data plan is
"all you can eat", and Cingular coverage is far from complete).

Thanks,

-Philip