[asterisk-users] How to hookup to cell phone for outbound calls?

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Tue Feb 5 15:44:38 CST 2008

Erik Anderson wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008 2:37 PM, Drew Gibson <drew at oanda.com> wrote:
>
>> How about http://www.mgamble.ca/oss/iphone_asterisk/ ?
>>

> Hah!  Cool, but quite ridiculous. :-)

I have a Linksys NSLU2 (Slug) at home running Asterisk (see
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ )

It's small, relatively cheap and runs Asterisk very well. You could slip
it into a pocket.

I haven't tried yet but I have done a little reading and hope to connect
the Slug to a mobile network when I get the time to play.

I know you said no bluetooth, Ed but if you're in North America and your
cellular network is CDMA, AFAIK option 1 is the only one possible.
These carriers generally won't allow devices on their networks unless
they are purchased from the carrier.

If your cellular network is GSM then there are two approaches to try,

1. Slug, 4GB USB stick, USB Bluetooth dongle, dedicated bluetooth mobile
phone + Asterisk 1.4 with a chan_mobile. Unfortunately, I doubt that
chan_mobile is packaged for the slug (it's in 1.4 trunk) and you would
have to build it. Cost ~$150 + phone + your time

2. Slug, 4GB USB stick + SIP-GSM gateway. Much easier to configure but
it's a second box so less portable and more expensive than a BT dongle
and an old phone. Probably more robust. Cost $250-$400

You could also substitute a Linksys WRT54GL ( http://openwrt.org/ ) for
the Slug which would give you ethernet ports and wireless too.

Hope this gives you some ideas

regards,

Drew

--