[asterisk-users] is encrypted iax safe and secure?

Cavalera Claudio Luigi Claudio.Cavalera at italtel.it
Tue Feb 5 09:22:29 CST 2008

Hello,
I'm doing some research concerning iax encryption, I haven't find any
clients (softphones or hardphones) which implement so I have not tested
it yet.

There was also this message on asterisk-security mailing list
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20070507.101933.222987b2.en.html
which got no answers and this makes me think that this iax encryption is
not much interesting for the community.

Anyway, in iax specification there is this statement:
"Only the data portion of the messages are encoded."

Which are the consequences of this, is it true as stated on
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/IAX+encryption
that
"The calling/called numbers are still passed in the clear over encrypted
IAX, so you are still vulnerable to traffic analysis."
?

If it's true how to deal with this?
Would you consider media payload encryption enough?
Maybe it's better to just forget about iax encryption and consider some
more general approach like using openvpn
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/IAX_OpenVPN ?

This half-encrypted iax encryption doesn't make much sense to me,
therefore I think there's probably something I'm
missing/misunderstanding.

Best Regards,
Claudio

Internet Email Confidentiality Footer
La presente comunicazione, con le informazioni in essa contenute e ogni documento o file allegato, e' rivolta unicamente alla/e persona/e cui e' indirizzata ed alle altre da questa autorizzata/e a riceverla. Se non siete i destinatari/autorizzati siete avvisati che qualsiasi azione, copia, comunicazione, divulgazione o simili basate sul contenuto di tali informazioni e' vietata e potrebbe essere contro la legge (art. 616 C.P., D.Lgs n. 196/2003 Codice in materia di protezione dei dati personali). Se avete ricevuto questa comunicazione per errore, vi preghiamo di darne immediata notizia al mittente e di distruggere il messaggio originale e ogni file allegato senza farne copia alcuna o riprodurne in alcun modo il contenuto.

This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and are confidential and/or may contain legally privileged information. If you have received this message by mistake or are not one of the addressees above, you may take no action based on it, and you may not copy or show it to anyone; please reply to this e-mail and point out the error which has occurred.