[asterisk-users] wireless VOIP phone recommendations?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Feb 5 08:58:38 CST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 14:37 +0000, henry at henrythebig.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Linksys WIP 330 and the sound is good, talk time with full battery go up to 2 hours, I'm happy with.

Ahhh.  OP wanted to know about wirelessly networked phones.  Interesting
as they are (and expensive -- the WIP-330 retails for $229 at
voiplink.com), I was hoping this would be a thread about simply cordless
IP (SIP or IAX) phones.  I think these tend to be available at a more
reasonable price.

I have a Panasonic GLOBALRANGE BB-GT1500CB
(http://www.panasonic.ca/english/telecom/telephones/globarange/index.asp) which technically is supposed to only work with the "Joip" service, but spoofing this phone to work with your Asterisk server is not too difficult.  It's a reasonable phone at a reasonable price (CAN$70 the last time I looked at a retail shop) but I have found that it can "drop out" sometimes.

I tend to think the drop-out is in the audio handling in the handset
itself rather than anything on the network.  It seems like it might be
some kind of silence detection and optimization circuitry (i.e. not
transmitting dead air to the base station) that just doesn't work in
real-life as well as it did on paper.

Also this Panasonic phone does not do call-waiting.  When there is a
call in session on it, an attempt to route a second call to it from
Asterisk results in a "busy here" message back from the phone.  :-(

I wonder what else is out there in a more affordable "consumer" price
range.  I guess there is always ATAs and regular phones.  I've always
wondered though if there is any benefit to even a basic phone such as
the GLOBALRANGE phones being native SIP vs. just using an ATA.  I have
not discovered anything this phone can do above and beyond what our
standard cordless Panasonic phone does plugged into an ATA.

b.