[asterisk-users] basic server specs

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Feb 5 01:47:37 CST 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:54:22AM -0500, John Williams wrote:
> Dear List
>
> Please excuse my ignorance ... a couple of questions on server sizing  (D---
> 2950)

For a basic installation of Asterisk, a Dell 4XX server is good enough.
Unless you need a really big monster (hundreds of concurrent calls and
such).

> - Hard Drive Size for open source * or *BE?

the OS and everything should fit nicely in 10GB. Maybe 20GB, if you have
lots of other things. In short: no worries here.

> -  # of Gps Ethernet ports  (1 or 2? )  (I noticed one poster using one port
> for incoming calls and 2nd port for outgoing calls)

1 GB interface should be good enough for around 16,000 concurrent g711
calls, in theory. I don't think that this is your bottleneck. In most
cases even a 100MB NIC would work just as well without being a bottleneck.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com