[asterisk-users] switch QOS requirements

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Sun Feb 3 15:11:04 CST 2008

"John Williams" <jw.ip.pbx at gmail.com> writes:

> We are tearing out legacy PBX and replacing with Asterisk PBX and new
> LAN for our 90+ person operation.   Question:  what QOS capabilities
> (protocols, etc) does Asterisk support/require in a LAN switch to deliver
> business grade phone service?  Thanks

If you have one switch for the whole network, you're generally fine
without QoS. Switches these days can handle full bandwidth on all
ports at the same time.

Anyway, Asterisk is no different from other PBX's when it comes to
QoS. Should it turn out that you actually need it on the LAN, just be
sure you set the tos parameters in sip.conf to something that is
prioritized by the switch.

/Benny