[asterisk-users] AEL Variable Warning Messages

Watkins, Bradley Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com
Wed Dec 31 14:00:15 CST 2008

Non-Commercial Discussion
>	Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] AEL Variable Warning Messages
>
>	Well, before I file a bug I have another question...  In AEL,
what is the correct syntax?  Do all variable references still need to be
wrapped in ${} or not?  If they do, then the documentation on
voip-info.org needs to be changed to reflect that.

Yes, variable references need to be wrapped in ${}.  Where on the wiki
do you see an example that is otherwise?  I just looked at the main
documentation for AEL, and I didn't see any instances of it.  Certainly
they can and should be fixed if they are there.

>	Beyond that, what are the rules for putting the values assigned
to variables in quotes?  In my example above, at one point I had a space
between the = and the Zap/r2 statement with no quotes.  The value
assigned to TRUNK then included a leading space.  I didn't test to see
whether or not putting a space after the variable name adds a space to
the variables name.  I would think that any spaces after an operator
should be ignored unless the come after a single or double quote.

The rules are that there aren't any really.  Neither a single- nor
double-quote have any specific meaning in the sense of signifying a
string.  I'm also curious to know where you saw an example of assignment
that used quotes of any kind, since I can't find that either.

Regards,
- Brad