[asterisk-users] AEL Variable Warning Messages

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Mon Dec 29 13:10:53 CST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 12:14 -0600, Brent Davidson wrote:
> I have two offices sharing a phone system.  They also share a common
> internal context because all of the employees of the second office also
> work for the first office.  Each office has 4 outside lines and I have
> defined 2 channel groups in my zapata.conf.  The second office needs all
> of their outgoing calls to go out over their lines so the people they
> call will have the correct callerID.  I created an asterisk database and
> with entries in the database for all extensions in the second office and
> defined the following macro:
>
> globals {
>   CONSOLE="Console/dsp";
>   TRUNK="Zap/r1";
>   TCTC_Operator=15;
>   Law_Operator=12;
> };
>
> macro outside-dial ( num ) {
>   if (${DB_EXISTS(Office/${CALLERID(num)})}) {
>     TRUNK="Zap/r2";
>   } else {
>     TRUNK="Zap/r1";
>   }
>   Dial(${TRUNK}/${num},,Ttok);
> }
>
> It's working and correctly routing outside calls, but I get the
> following messages when I reload the extensions.ael file:
>
> [Dec 23 12:16:22] WARNING[2994]: pbx_ael.c:2500 check_pval_item:
> Warning: file /etc/asterisk/extensions.ael, line 93-93: expression
> "Zap/r2" has operators, but no variables. Interesting...
> [Dec 23 12:16:22] WARNING[2994]: pbx_ael.c:2500 check_pval_item:
> Warning: file /etc/asterisk/extensions.ael, line 95-95: expression
> "Zap/r1" has operators, but no variables. Interesting...
>
> Any idea what is causing the warnings?

Yes, I do! I was concerned that users were falling into a common
error, where they forget to wrap variable references in $(); so,
if it looks like an expr has arithmetic operators, but no variable
refs, then you get this message.

Yes, I *could* have made it more intelligent. File a bug, and I'll
see if I can do so. At the worst, you can ignore this warning, or
I can simply remove this overly-simple warning.

murf

--
     Steve Murphy
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer