[asterisk-users] IAX2 module hung and unable to unload chan_iax2.so

Jason Hu jason at cititone.net
Sun Dec 21 17:13:11 CST 2008

Hello everybody,

This is a problem disturb me for long.

I run asterisk Asterisk 1.4.14 and A2Billing 1.3 in the same Debian 4.0 ETCH
server. And there is also FoneBridge for TDM over Ethernet with E1 to make
as well as receive calls from mobiles or PSTN. And IAX2 trunk runs between
Asterisk and A2Billing. For most of the time they really do a good job. But
some hours or days later----I mean it happens indefinitely, they both
strike. When it happens, no outgoing calls or incoming calls from mobiles or
PSTN can get through, but the SIP extensions can call each other without
issues. I am sure the IAX2 trunk and IAX2 modules hung because the SIP calls
work but IAX2 related calls does not work. So I issue 'unload chan_iax2.so'
doesn't work. It will give 'unable to unload chan_iax2.so' at CLI and
'WARNING[20750] loader.c: Soft unload failed, 'chan_iax2.so' has use count
1' at the Asterisk log file /var/log/asterisk/full.

I tried that 'amportal restart' to restart it, but the asterisk and
safe_asterisk processes just keep alive. Even kill and pkill also does not
work. The only works way I've ever tried is 'kill -9 PID' and run it again.
Thank GOD! It will do a good job again. But hours or days later it happens
again. Daily restart Asterisk periodically tried too but it happened just
hours ago.

Please any idea or help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Jason Hu

Regards

Jason Hu