[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Dabatase

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Dec 21 14:18:12 CST 2008

On Sunday 21 December 2008 13:07:05 Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher schrieb:
> > On Sunday 21 December 2008 12:08:17 Mike wrote:
> >> Thanks, I appreciate getting the update on 1.6 with regards to the DB
> >> functions (and, for that matter, on the hints too).  Wouldn't using
> >> "MYSQL Disconnect" handle the ressources as well (if, of course, called
> >> when needed)?
> >
> > The Disconnect command only frees the resources associated with the
> > connection.  The Clear command is needed to destroy resources associated
> > with any outstanding query.  Of course, if you get a hangup prior to
> > completing either of these cleanup commands (and you aren't explicitly
> > handling those in the "h" extension), you'll get a resource leak.
>
> That's why the MySQL functions should either be fixed or removed.
> They make it too easy to shoot yourself in the foot.

They do, but they also allow something that I currently do not permit in
func_odbc:  retrieval and destruction of results and handles by a channel
other than the one which created them.  So you could plausibly use the
MYSQL command for something like a serialization operation, whereby
each channel fetches a row in turn and uses the values therein for a
coordination procedure of some kind.  I'm not quite sure what the value
of that is, but it is possible with the current model.

Like every other powerful utility, you may choose to use the rope to make a
bridge or a noose.

--
Tilghman