[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Dabatase

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Sun Dec 21 12:17:19 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2008 09:03:29 Mike wrote:
>> I've explored two ways of working with the database, as far as dialplan
>> goes.  The first was using realtime, as described in the wiki, to store the
>> dialplan.  This became very messy very quickly, as an SQL database isn't a
>> great support for the dialplan. It's (relatively) hard to modify, and if
>> your goal is to build your own Web portal (which was my goal) you're stuck
>> making the portal code very complexe to accommodate the messy dialplan.
>>
>> What I went with was the complete opposite.  I build the dialplan in the
>> conf files, but everytime I refered to something dynamic, I called an SQL
>> function (see MYSQL cmd for Asterisk).  This made the dialplan more
>> complexe (lot's of call to MYSQL) but it's more easily changed (since it's
>> still text) and the Web portal is much readable since everything relies a
>> well-designed relational DB instead of the dialplan realtime database.
>
> This is exactly what I recommend to people, and I'm happy to see that others
> are heading in this direction, even if it's not with the tools that I've
> developed for this purpose.
>
>> But there are donwsides to that too: MYSQL down means my VoIP server is
>> also down (which never actually happened, but it could).  And, as I said,
>> the .conf file is a lot more complexe
>
> I've tried to address several of the complaints about func_odbc in the 1.6.x
> version.  Specifically, func_odbc supports multirow queries, separation of
> read and write operations, and automatic failover between database handles.
> One of the other advantages that func_odbc has over the MYSQL command is
> that resources are automatically deallocated when a channel hangs up.  When
> the MYSQL command was originally written, it did not have the advantage of
> some of the channel infrastructure that we now have, and therefore it could
> not automatically destroy resources when they were no longer relevant.
>
> --
> Tilghman

MySQL admin which I usually use Webmin to access is good.  I also had
a very bright, but too bright customer decide to base his call center
on 1.2 using ODBC connected to an access DB.  I worked great, too
great, when he changed from one cell to another, the change was
immediate.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro