[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Dabatase

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Sun Dec 21 09:03:29 CST 2008

Bilal,

I've explored two ways of working with the database, as far as dialplan
goes.  The first was using realtime, as described in the wiki, to store the
dialplan.  This became very messy very quickly, as an SQL database isn't a
great support for the dialplan. It's (relatively) hard to modify, and if
your goal is to build your own Web portal (which was my goal) you're stuck
making the portal code very complexe to accommodate the messy dialplan.

What I went with was the complete opposite.  I build the dialplan in the
conf files, but everytime I refered to something dynamic, I called an SQL
function (see MYSQL cmd for Asterisk).  This made the dialplan more complexe
(lot's of call to MYSQL) but it's more easily changed (since it's still
text) and the Web portal is much readable since everything relies a
well-designed relational DB instead of the dialplan realtime database.

But there are donwsides to that too: MYSQL down means my VoIP server is also
down (which never actually happened, but it could).  And, as I said, the
.conf file is a lot more complexe

As for the other parts of Asterisk (SIP accounts, queue data, etc) I did use
Asterisk realtime DB for that.  Be aware that, as of 1.4.22, there are
limitations with using SIP accounts in a realtime DB (for example, the
SIPPEER func doesn't seem to work, which is a darn shame, and hints don't
quite work too unless they are in a conf file.  That last issue seems to be
fixed in the latest 1.6, but I haven't tried it)...

Mike