[asterisk-users] Dial timeout with SIP - how to set timeout for INVITE ACK

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Dec 18 12:56:45 CST 2008

It's a valid concern, but be prepared for people to tell you that this
should be done with the qualify parameter to determine if a host is up
and running. Not the most ideal way to handle it, I'll agree. But the
SIP proxy functionality of Asterisk is limited (as it's not intended to
be a SIP proxy).

We use a modified source to enable the return of SIP response codes into
our AGI scripts that help us do more intelligent logic in this regard
(mostly for LCR functionality).  It could be modified, I suppose, to
look for the return of a provisional response indicating that the remote
proxy is up and running and responding to SIP requests. Not sure how
you'd then initiate a timeout, though.

N.