[asterisk-users] user entry as variables

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Dec 17 23:36:39 CST 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Michael wrote:

> I want to take series of user entered (via phone keypad) options/numeric
> entry fields and use these with an AGI script. I have looked through
> voip-info and I can't find any Asterisk functions specifically for this.

Try "show agi" (1.2) or "agi show" (1.4) at the Asterisk console.

You can collect the digits in your dialplan and stuff them into channel
variables which you can retrieve in your AGI using the AGI command "GET
VARIABLE" or you can use AGI commands like "GET DATA."

It kind of depends on what you are doing. I use GET VARIABLE to retrieve
the credit card number and expiration date from channel variables. I use
GET DATA to walk the user through a custom bulletin board system.

Try "show agi get data" or "agi show get data."

FWIW, I'm a big fan of writing AGIs in C.

Thanks in advance,