[asterisk-users] tcpdum

Roland Roland R_O_L_A_N_D at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:09:57 CST 2008

Hi Michel,

how's beirut's weather with ya!

anyway, TTL stands for TIME To LIVE.
it's encapsulated on layer three of the OSI layer to each packet going out that specific interface.
by default routers has a 16 TTL that means each time the designated packet reaches a router (gets decapsulated) it gets a -1...
this helps in preventing loops which would eventually lead to congestion.

now latency wise, for VOIP to operate correctly it needs a latency of under 200 ms. (I currently have a microwave link , and unfortunately im not getting that a latency less than 280 to my SIP provider)

if your asterisk server is hosted online, you could simply traceroute it and check the highest latency, point. and depending on where that bottle neck would be, youll troubleshoot from there..
mine were on my ISP's international link, after having a meeting with my account manager, I got my link routed through a different international path which drastically decreased my latency.

now on a different approach, you absolutly have to talk to your ISP/network administrator to provide you QOS for that specific IP whether it's public or private.
depending on your network's traffic QOS would surely help with no doubt.. this would decrease latency as well

hope I've shed some light about this, if not well the more knowledge the betteR

best,
Roland