[asterisk-users] Country numbering plan resources

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Dec 13 00:56:38 CST 2008

Michael wrote:

> There IS life outside of the USA (shock, horror!)

I am not making the metaphysical error of assuming otherwise.  I'm just
pointing out that routing complexity introduces exponentially with
competition.

> Anyone can download NZ's entire numbering plan down to suburb/town level from
> the NZ Telecom wholesale website. I doubt they would be alone in this.

Sure, I just gave you the link to NANPA's equivalent of that.  What good
is it going to do you, whether with regard to the US or in any other
country that has more carriers than thou hast fingers?

> Because LOTS of countries differenciate between landline and cellular calls.
> From my list here I would say over 80% do.

What do you mean by "countries differentiate?"  Countries don't
differentiate anything - carriers differentiate.  And the nature of
those differences is inextricably bound up in their interconnection
agreements.  Many international backbone carriers privately interconnect
with mobile carriers and bypass the incumbent telco (if the country's
laws allow this), allowing them to achieve lower termination rates.

The point is that this landline vs. mobile distinction is not
particularly universal, not particularly uniform, and therefore, not
particularly useful.  It's rather specious.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems