[asterisk-users] Country numbering plan resources

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Fri Dec 12 21:47:06 CST 2008

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Michael wrote:

>> In general you don't need to worry about that, as when you go to buy your
>> "routes", the splits are given to you.  For example, though you have split
>> up New Zealand nicely I don't need that information, as the termination
>> provider I buy New Zealand from gives me one price for what they deem
>> "proper" (01164) and another several for what they deem "mobile"
>> (01164900, 011648, 011642).  Whatever destination is dialed simply picks
>> the route that it most matches, and I know what the charges are.
>
> Case in point (and why we should have a community orientated approach to this)
>
> If that is how your carrier has divided it up they have given you inaccurate
> information.

Hmm, I looked over your summary again against the route prefixes I just
gave and they seem to match.  They aren't as detailed, but that isn't
important, as long as I can tell a cellular from a landline, which those
prefixes do accomplish.  I don't really care how accurate they are either,
as long as my carrier will honor the prices for the prefixes they have
provided me.

> Let's forget about USA/Canada for now as from my/most people's point of view
> the routes are all so cheap (and blended) that it does not matter. I think it
> is more important to focus on other countries.

You have no idea what an uphill battle you will be fighting, and one that
is constantly changing.  If the idea is to compile all this info to make a
master routing list for making purchases, you really don't need to bother.
They will be given to you buy your carriers.  NANPA is complex, but for
purchasing at the wholesale level blended routes are pretty common, which
actually makes it one of the simpler ones.  Try the Dominican Republic - I
currently have over 1200 routes to this small country, and they cannot be
any further collapsed...