[asterisk-users] Country numbering plan resources

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Dec 12 21:40:22 CST 2008

Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> In general you don't need to worry about that, as when you go to buy
> your "routes", the splits are given to you.  For example, though you
> have split up New Zealand nicely I don't need that information, as the
> termination provider I buy New Zealand from gives me one price for what
> they deem "proper" (01164) and another several for what they deem
> "mobile" (01164900, 011648, 011642).  Whatever destination is dialed
> simply picks the route that it most matches, and I know what the charges
> are.

Only when it's simple.  When a country is small or is big but has a
single state telco incumbent and a few mobile carriers, that's not too
hard.

Of course you can get blended domestic US48 termination - most people
do.  But, two things happen when you hit a large traffic volume that
cause that to go away:

1) *You* lose on the blended rate for high-density and/or highly
competitive destinations you could route to for rates under the blended
plan.

2) Your providers get increasingly nervous about their exposure to your
all-over-the-map traffic patterns, ability to adhere to a theoretical
80% RBOC blend, or whatever.  So, high amounts of traffic start to get
broken apart into much, much more granular (and therefore numerous)
tiers, sometimes down to the terminating carrier.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems