[asterisk-users] MeetMe echo problems with more than two participants

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Fri Dec 12 12:39:53 CST 2008

Alessandro Russo wrote:

> we are using Asterisk 1.4.18.1 <http://1.4.18.1/> on debian 4.0 etch,
> pwlib 1.10 and openh323 1.18.
>
> We are using MeetMe for conference calls and with two participants
> there is no echo problems, but with more than two participants there
> is a lot of echo that sometimes disappear for a short time and all
> function well.
>
> Someone have some suggestions??
>
> Do you ever used app_conference
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/appconference/  ??

Alessandro,

Are you certain that the echo isn't being introduced by someone on the
conference using a speakerphone?  This would cause what is known as
acoustic echo
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_cancellation#Acoustic_echo> and it's
always my first suspect in a situation like the one you are describing.

This is not a problem that is specific to Asterisk and I'm fairly
certain there is nothing that can be done within your configuration to
correct it.  Instructing the conference participants to mute their
phones when they aren't speaking or to use their handsets should reduce
acoustic echo.  Some phones
<http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Uni-Ta+Technology> also claim to
have a "full-duplex speakerphone with advanced acoustic echo
cancellation," but caveat emptor.

That said, I'm not an expert on echo cancellation and I have an
installation where the users are making similar complaints about echo
during conference calls.  I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone on the
list corrected any misunderstandings that I might have on the subject.

As an aside, how is the timing on your conference server.  The MeetMe
application relies on it to mix the audio in conferences.  You should
get at least 99.98% output from zttest (as shown below) or the audio
quality will suffer.  This is an overall quality issue and is not
necessarily related to your echo problems.

  [root at astconf ~]# zttest
  Opened pseudo zap interface, measuring accuracy...
  99.999413% 99.995407% 99.995499% 99.998047% 99.996483% 99.997849%
99.999008%
  --- Results after 107 passes ---
  Best: 100.000 -- Worst: 99.995 -- Average: 99.997687, Difference:
99.997815

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions