[asterisk-users] Linux Software to monitor quality of bandwidth for carrying voip traffic - suggestions please?

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Thu Dec 11 17:14:14 CST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 12:19 AM, Shaun Wingrin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would like to run the software to monitor the quality of the
> bandwidth.
>
> Suggestions welcome?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Shaun

I can't tell you how to monitor quality of bandwidth - that sentence
doesn't quite make sense, but I'll make some assumptions as to what
you're really trying to do and say that you want to see what is
happening with the bandwidth that you do have, and what is using it.

I've used the "rate" package to create simple monitors of traffic
types which use the widely-understood "tcpdump" filter syntax.  This
allows me to watch, for instance, all UDP traffic on RTP port ranges,
or all packets being generated by a certain machine, as long as the
system in question can "see" all the packets (on a hub, or running on
the device that is the "router" for the packets.)

I used it a while back to do the IAX2 trunking tests, for instance.

http://s-tech.elsat.net.pl/bmtools/

   bash-3.2# ./rate -v -r 1 -i fxp2 -f "host my.sip.client" -R

or

   bash-3.2#  ./rate -v -r 1 -i fxp2 -f "src net 10.0.0.0/8" -R

JT

---
John Todd
jtodd at digium.com        +1-256-428-6083