[asterisk-users] asterisk latency

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Thu Dec 11 15:38:59 CST 2008

Depends on how much latency.  The packetization of voice data (and associated digitizing, transcoding, etc) introduces some latency.  Smaller packet size can reduce this, but at the expense of needing more packets which eats up more CPU time, etc.  Also the jitter buffer size makes a significant difference.  For a PBX (LAN) application this can be quite small, as network processing is fairly predictable.  For stuff going over the internet it needs to be larger.

I have a small demo setup I'm experimenting with that only has a couple of SIP phones.  They are in the same room and the delay is was very annoying.  I made the jitter buffers smaller and it helped.  With good echo cancellation and more realistic physical separation this isn't really a problem.

If it is network based, you will see it on a ping.

Wilton