[asterisk-users] having problems with asterisk

Scott Berry n7zib at northlc.com
Wed Dec 10 18:45:40 CST 2008

Hello there,

I am reading Asterisk: The Future of Telephony Chapter four.  I am using
a Ubuntu box with Asterisk precompiled at this time so I can learn.  I
am finding that I am having a problem when I do "asterisk -r" from the
command line.  It says:
Unable to connect remotely (are you sure
that /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl is available.)  The answer to this
question is yes.  I also see through my logs that there are over a
hundred modules loading and I just want the timing interface at this
time.  I do not have hardware to use but I set up Asterisk as the boo
recommends in Chapter four.  Can anyone help me in the proper direction.

1.  I don't need all one hundred modules I just want the timing
interface.

2.  I don't see why "asterisk -r" is not working.

Thanks for your help and included is my messages file.