[asterisk-users] Asterisk dies when external access is lost

Phil Knighton phil.knighton at mjog.com
Thu Dec 11 05:46:52 CST 2008

Hello

Looking for some help with a rather odd problem.  We have Asterisk
1.4.10 running on a Linux box, within our Windows domain.  Our Domain
Controller is a Windows 2003 server, providing the normal Windows domain
functions, such as DHCP and DNS.

When we lose either our Domain Controller (for a reboot/maintenance) or
external ADSL access, Asterisk drops all SIP registrations - even
internal SIP calls within the building no longer function.

All of our SIP clients are assigned static IP addresses, and our
incoming lines are via a Zaptel card using (currently) analog lines from
our national telco.  When the SIP registrations drop, Asterisk will
still answer incoming calls via the Zap channels, but can't forward them
anywhere.

What is most confusing is a recent issue when our ADSL connections were
all offline, and despite everything internal to the network working
perfectly, all of the SIP phones stopped working and left us without
phones for 4 hours.

I'm suspecting that these two issues (losing connectivity when DC is
unavailable and losing connectivity when ADSL drops) are related, but I
can't figure out how?  I'm sure I'm missing something simple in the
config, but I've been tinkering with this issue since we were using
Asterisk 1.2 and I've still not resolved it.

Any help or comments would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Phil

Phil Knighton