[asterisk-users] Call Recording - Asterisk

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Mon Dec 8 18:56:44 CST 2008

Chris Rowson wrote:

>     I wanted to setup Oreka to monitor calls on a trixbox box I have
>     setup. Oreka doesn't seem to be catching all of the calls
>     though.... I have port mirroring setup on the port that trixbox is
>     connected to, mirrored to the port Oreka is connected to.
>
>     I have read that Asterisk doesn't work as a SIP Proxy, so I
>     wondered if this meant that some phones, after checking in with
>     Asterisk would simply communicate via RTP between each other,
>     without going media transport going through trixbox itself? If
>     this is the case then I guess I'd need to mirror the full VoIP
>     VLAN to the Oreka port wouldn't I? Or is there another reason that
>     I'm missing here?

Chris,

Make sure that all of your SIP clients are set to "canreinvite=no" in
"sip.conf".  The default is "canreinvite=yes", which allows RTP to
bypass Asterisk.  Certain things (codec translation, playback of audio
files, etc.) require Asterisk to be in the RTP path, which may explain
why you're recording some of the calls.

If you're still missing calls, make sure Oreka is configured properly in
"config.xml".  In particular, the "AllowedIpRanges" and
"BlockedIpRanges" settings provide IP address filtering at the Oreka
level.  In general, I've had to configure these to prevent getting two
recordings of each call (since Asterisk acts as a B2BUA) but your
configuration may be too strict.

Running tcpdump/Wireshark on the Oreka server will let you see exactly
what's being mirrored.  There is even a setting in Oreka named
"PcapFile" that will let you playback the packet capture file over and
over until you're satisfied with your configuration.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer