[asterisk-users] Asterisk, OCS and Caller-ID

Kevin Ragsdale KevinR at rocketgaming.com
Fri Dec 5 17:30:58 CST 2008

Hello Everyone,

We've connected OCS to Asterisk via OpenSips, and the voice functionality is working fine.  I was wondering if anyone out there who has implemented a similar system would be willing to share any information on how they have implemented this, specifically with regards to URI numbering on the OCS side.  So far, we've done this:

1.      Extensions in * are 4-digit, and the Caller-ID is configured with this number.  We append the area code and prefix for outbound calling.  In order for the Communicator to pop-up with the username, we've had to put the full number with a + so that the normalized number will match the AD phone number.  I would assume that we could fiddle with the Caller-Id with macros or something to correct this.
2.      We really aren't sure how to handle the URI for OCS, since most people will continue to use both systems.  Right now, it's their 10-digit number without the +, but I really don't know what a good solution is here.  We add a SIP channel to their Dial() statement so that the desk phone and OC ring at the same time; we don't use Trixbox or anything like that, just a vanilla 1.4 installation
3.      Calls from OCS use the URI configured for the account, so it's number only.  I would assume there is a way to use LDAP with * to match a number to AD information and populate it that way.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the setup so far.  Call quality is good, people like the ability to dial straight from Outlook and OC, and people can use it on the road as a smartphone, without VPN access required.  We have a lot of remote users and daily conference calls, so it's going to save money for that sort of thing as well.

Thanks,

Kevin