[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Freddi Hansen fh at danovation.dk
Fri Dec 5 14:05:49 CST 2008

>   I agree with the fact that the base is broken and needs to be fixed
> first.
>
> --
We wouldn't have this discussion if we had a close to perfect CDR design
that just needed some 'fixing'.
The processes of just adding another couple of patches has been ongoing
for more than year now.
I think that phase 1 should be creation of the new CDR's according  to
Steve's spec.
A phase 2 could be an addon to CDR module or external script that would
create a CDR record exactly as the old CDR record so we maintain
backward compatibility with peoples existing billing systems that run on
CDR's.
Imagine that the existing CDR module collect  the events  as the are
generated and then when it would create the CDR as it does now it runs
the config controlled interpreter that convert the eventlist to the old
CDR records. For simple Asterisk usage it would stil work
'out-of-the-box' with existing callingcard billing a.s.o.
So for those that 'just' want simple CDR's this change wouldn't change
anything as long as they don't lift the hood.

The benefit would be that all event generation would be decoupled from
the business logic thats in place for CDR generation and users may have
control over that business logic.
Using these events for 'realtime' stuff is anther spinoff but not the
primary reason

my 2 cent.
Freddi