[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Fri Dec 5 09:49:22 CST 2008

Hello,

Andrew Thomas wrote:
> "I'd disagree. In some cases a event based system would be the best
> solution, but in systems with high call volumes, scanning through events
>
> looking for the proper billing information and parsing them would be a
> hard job compared to CDRs."
>
> That's just it - you wouldn't be 'scanning' any CDR's - you'd be given
> Events.  Your 3rd party app could then do anything it wanted to with
> them.
>
> Events are real time - not historic (like CDR's).  Events are presented
> as they happen (hold, ring, etc) - CDR's are usually presented AFTER the
> call has finished so you miss things like hold-times etc.

Indeed, if you refer to real time events then this is the way to go.
However, many people (including our company) use CDRs as a fall back in
case we don't have real-time billing data available. We use real time
information for prepaid customers and stats, but we also crosscheck this
data with CDRs periodically.

I agree that both approaches would be useful in many different scenarios
for different users. It would be ideal if both approaches could be
implemented.

Best regards,
Vlasis Hatzistavrou.