[asterisk-users] CDR Design

regs at kinetix.gr regs at kinetix.gr
Fri Dec 5 05:39:59 CST 2008

Quote : "Like I said earlier - the CDR's aren't
reliable enough for a billing platform (as you've
rightly pointed out) but are OK for very basic call
logging (something the customer can look at)."

I couldn't disagree more. The CDRs is the MOST reliable
source for billing purposes (in postpaid mode that is -
for prepaid you have to use something else (although
even then the CDRs can be helpful for consistency checks)).

Other alternatives (e.g. radius) could not give you
the same level of consistency as the CDRs (although better
than other implementations because the gateway retries
to send the packet many times before giving up). What would
happen if your radius server was overloaded and could
not process accounting packets for a few secs/mins/hours?
What would happen if the network is down (and the event
processing handler is in another box)?
All these calls would be lost. This can rarely be seen
with CDRs logging. Because, whatever might happen you can
always count on them to rectify the situation.

I think the same can be said about other event based
billing setups. The gateway itself cannot (and shouldn't
really) be aware if the event was successfully processed by
the handling back-end so you end up with inconsistent data
and lost calls.

Now, a combination of the two (e.g. radius+CDRs) can cover
all the possible gone-wrong scenarios. But in order for that
to work you need all the detailing you can get in the CDR.

If ,however, you don't want to load your gateway with complex
CDRs you could entirely turn them off (or parts of it e.g. b-leg
logging, log only a few details etc).