[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Andrew Thomas andy at datavox.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 02:26:30 CST 2008

I think you may have misunderstood me.  I didn't say "don't have the
extra information", I said "Let's have the 'extra' information in a
different way and leave the existing CDR's as they are".

Take the example of a 'real' PBX - the SDX/Lucent/Avaya Index.  The
Index had 2 options for 'logging' - SMDR (what we know as CDR) and
Events.

The SMDR gives the call information - after the call has finished (what
time, date, number, who answered etc).  The Event log gave an Event
'code' every time a handset/trunk changed state (off-hook, dialling,
ringing etc.).

This Event log helped us provide real time (near as damn it) stats for
the system (ring times, hold times etc.) whereas the SMDR just gave us
the basic call information.

This is what I am suggesting here.  Leave the basic CDR's as they are -
and focus more on the event driven side (maybe through a TCP/IP port or
socket?).

Having events put in to a database by Asterisk is putting yet more load
on to the server - so why do it if it's not needed?

As I joined this 'discussion' late in - I can only assume that murf is
doing just this with the CEL bit (if someone can correct me if needed
please).

In summary: Leave CDR exactly as it is and create a new CEL (Call Event
Logging) module (optional in modules.conf) that puts out (and does not
accept) call event information (ie. a one-way fire-and-forget output
from Asterisk).

Hope that makes my positiion a little clearer.

Cheers
Andrew Thomas