[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 05:51:36 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:47 PM, JD <jdupuy-list at socket.net> wrote:

> Grey man: you are right. The direction of a call leg is easy to
> determine from the point of view of asterisk. I suspect other folks
> however, think of it differently. Some would think of a call coming from
> a customer CPE to asterisk as an outbound call. Inbound to asterisk,
> yes. But outbound for billing purposes. But if you are using Asterisk
> for xyz, then the pattern of logic may differ yet again. So, while AMA
> CDRs may look at it in a specific way, Steve's flexible system should
> probably leave it up to each programmer writing their unique billing
> analysis software.

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned inbound and outbound calls :-). I
don't have any issues distinguishing between outbound and inbound
calls in the current system all I was attempting to do was point out
it's not very difficult to manage. However it's not that relevant an
argument for the CDR design so should be disregarded.

> To sum up, personally I still think the current AMA-style CDRs should
> remain in place. Perhaps touched up a bit. Or not. Steve's system should
> be in addition to the AMA-style CDRs and called something other than
> CDRs. (CDRplus?)

Well if you are in a situation where you have to bill users and those
users are able to make transfers you'd be just as keen for the system
to get the system changes as a lot of the rest of us.

Regards,

Greyman.