[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Andrew Thomas andy at datavox.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 02:11:30 CST 2008

It seems to me that we are confusing billing and logging here.  Call
billing only really needs the start and finish (like we get now) - but
proper call logging requires all steps.

Do we leave CDR's as they are (for billing purposes) and have a separate
'event' driven log for call logging?  Or do we change the CDR structure
to accommodate logging as well?

Personally, a separate 'event' log seems preferable to me as this keeps
existing billing platforms useable.  It just means the logging programs
will need to be re-written to look at a new database for events.

I know we have the AMI - but that puts out a lot more information than
is needed for simple logging (and requires something to prune and store
the events in a database of some sort).

Any thoughts?

Andrew Thomas
Technical Services Manager