[asterisk-users] GSM gateways - which one ?

hakem Ta hakemvoip at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:21:34 CST 2008

Hello Philipp,

All what you says "was" true and I am first to witness it. Ecotel VoIP was a
new product at that time needed some time like wine to become good

1-) Files did not cleanup correctly ;
2-) Lot of erratic issues that we have also greyed hair with;
3-) Stability issues, ...etc;

When I gave the Vierling Ecotel SIP<->GSM gateway a try (years
ago) it was a nightmare.
There was an IP address printed on a sticker on the device -
didn't work. And the Ecotel didn't ask my DHCP server for an
address either.

(HT:) Ecotel VOIP allows USB connectivity first. Through USB cable, you can
assign to it IP address. New models allow also GSM calls remotely;

I used nmap to scan my net for the device. Found
it but: no telnet, no web GUI, nothing.
(HT): There is Service Gear GUI application that you can download.

When my hair started to turn gray I found out that it came with
a MS-Windows-only configuration tool. Great! :-(

(HT): Indeed. Although it is linux based box, config through GUI is windows
based. It handles sim rotation and advanced sim management scenarii;

And - guess what - that tool managed to break almost every human
interface guideline.

(HT): I hope you did not throw your box ! In case not, you can try it and I
can help you make it work (albeit today is stable that we use in
production);

However when you finally have the thing up and running it works.
And maybe it's all better now.

(HT): Indeed. Despite other products we have tried on the market  protech
and many other products (voiceblue of 2N), Ecotel VoIP can play VoIP, ISDN,
GSM (CDMA ) + sip proxy (SER based). It can work in NAT with very advanced
sim rotation capabilities (if need be to use lot of sims for free packages
or so). It has advanced logging  (you can trace SER and also GSM AT
commands). These make this product not in same range oas protech and other
ones alike

  Philipp Kempgen

Hakem,

Hakem Voip