[asterisk-users] Dahdi and ztdummy

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Tue Dec 2 17:23:39 CST 2008

>I did build dahdi before building asterisk, but that`s it.

No problem. But what steps did you use? Did you edit *any* dahdi related configs? See the voip-info url below.

>I find it hard to find any documentation referring to dadhi instead of zaptel.

:) Yeah, it's not the most documented aspect of Asterisk, but there is enough for your need...

>I have no Digium hardware, but I still need the ztdummy timer (or whatever it`s called now).  How do I get myself going?

Well you need to check the README, for your application it has all you need to know:
http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/linux/tags/2.0.0/README

Installation
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note: If using `sudo` to build/install, you may need to add /sbin to your PATH.

  make
  make install

Note that you'll need the utilities provided in the package dahdi-tools
to configure DAHDI devices on your system.

At the bottom of that file, it points you to a source for making the transition when reading older docs:
http://voip-info.org/wiki/view/DAHDI

I suggest you pull in dahdi-linux-complate, run #make, #make install, #make config, then #chkconfig dahdi on (or your distro equiv) and the bare configs
that get installed will allow all modules to load, see that there is no hardware and fall back to dahdi_dummy.

Do an lsmod and look for something like so:
[root at host ~]# lsmod | grep dahdi
dahdi_dummy            38984  0
dahdi                 231760  9 dahdi_dummy,xpp,wctdm,wcfxo,wctdm24xxp,wcte11xp,wct1xxp,wcte12xp,wct4xxp
crc_ccitt              35265  1 dahdi

Also,
[root at host ~]# cat /proc/dahdi/1
Span 1: DAHDI_DUMMY/1 "DAHDI_DUMMY/1 (source: RTC) 1" (MASTER)

Note that UPGRADE.txt suggests:
http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/linux/tags/2.0.0/UPGRADE.txt
* This package no longer includes the 'menuselect' utility for
  choosing which modules to build; all modules that can be built are
  built automatically.

HTH,
jlc