[asterisk-users] OT: What do you guys think of this?

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Dec 2 14:52:53 CST 2008

Doug wrote:
> At 04:03 12/2/2008, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>  >Doug <Doug at NaTel.net> writes:
>  >
>  >> "Net Neutrality" is great in principle.  But ISP's need to
>  >> somehow control those few percentage of users who suck down
>  >> a huge majority of the bandwidth.  It's dollars and cents.
>  >
>  >Yes, just like the airlines need to somehow control those users who
>  >keep showing up to the flight they booked, every single time! It's
>  >impossible to do overbooking with customers like that, so we need to
>  >find ways of punishing them.
>
> What happens if everyone who owns a car drives
> it at the same time?  Owns a telephone and
> uses it at the same time?

If everyone who owns a car drives it at the same time, there's lots of
traffic. You know who gets blamed? The right people -- the people to
create the infrastructure. Drivers aren't blamed for driving their cars
when they want to as long as they do it legally as prescribed by the
very open and easy to find laws. If everyone who owns a telephone uses
it at the same time, it's just like the Internet issues. Telephone
companies also practice oversubscription. But it's clear to everyone
that it's the phone company that doesn't have the capacity for it...
people don't blame the customers for using their phone. They pay for it.
They should be able to use it when they want.

But if everyone uses the Internet access they pay for? Suddenly, they're
violating a user agreement (usually not a specified one in the case of
many ISPs) or a usage policy and it's all that crazy P2P to blame.
They're "stealing bandwidth from other users."   Which is absolute
poppycock. That's a marketing spin on poor infrastructure planning.

N.