[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Tue Dec 2 10:19:05 CST 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Grey Man wrote:

>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Steve Murphy <murf at digium.com> wrote:
>> Everyone--
>>
>> I've just made some major changes to the CDRfix2.rfc.txt
>> file in http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/murf/RFCs
>> to accommodate the Leg approach instead of a
>> channel-based approach.
>>

> Hi murf,
>
> I've got a couple of points (as always) from the new design.
>
> First one would be the generation of CDRs when putting a call on hold.
> I don't think that should occur. When a call is put on hold Asterisk
> never changes the endpoints of a call all it does is possibly change
> the media to one or both of the call ends. CDRs are about call
> endpoints not about media transitions. In SIP terms putting a call on
> hold is no different to changing codecs both operations are re-INVITES
> and are irrelevant as far as CDRs and billing go.

While I agree with your reasoning, I really like the idea of the CDR
showing HOLD states.  It allows me to generate a report on how often
people are on hold.  If I see that the incoming calls to my
receptionist spend 15% of the time on hold, that means something to
me.  If someone doesn't care to know the hold states, they (or their
script) can just ignore the HOLD CDR records.  I don't see that it
would impact any final numbers to just skip them, you still get the
total call duration between point A and point B.

Daniel