[asterisk-users] OT: What do you guys think of this?

Doug Doug at NaTel.net
Mon Dec 1 21:37:44 CST 2008

At 18:56 12/1/2008, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
 >On Monday 01 December 2008 06:21:33 pm Doug wrote:
 >> We tell our customers that they are not allowed to
 >> download copyrighted material.
 >
 >So your customers are only allowed to download public domain
 >material?  That kind of restricts the amount of information
 >available on the Internet.  Nitpick:  just about everything, including
 >this email, is copyrighted by somebody.  Forbidding the download
 >of copyrighted works is not only a draconian policy, but may actually
 >violate several copyright laws (you're interfering with a copyright
 >owner's right to distribute his/her/their works, and courts are
 >generally not very sympathetic with your position).

Oops!  Didn't mean to start a fire here.

I meant to say "illegal copyrighted material".  Also, if they
are using up hundreds of Internet connections, we can see
that.  It essentially causes a Denial of Service situation
for other users on that leg of our wireless network.  The system
supposedly has rate limiting, but seems to get overloaded when
someone goes completely nuts with BitTorrent.  We are working
on ways to limit the number of simultaneous connections.

When we get a copyright infringment notice from our upstream
provider, we are compelled to reprimand the user.  I don't
think we have sent a customer to the "shower" even if they
had several notices.

"Net Neutrality" is great in principle.  But ISP's need to
somehow control those few percentage of users who suck down
a huge majority of the bandwidth.  It's dollars and cents.

Es tut mir leid für das Durcheinander meine Brüder!