[asterisk-users] OT: What do you guys think of this?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Dec 1 19:20:55 CST 2008

RE Kushner List Account wrote:

> The question is, what are you actually paying for as a customer?  To
> discriminate against bits just because they actually use what they are
> paying for is beyond me.
>
> At least a bandwidth cap is easier to understand. You get what you pay for.

Speaking as a former sysadmin of an ISP, I would say that the issue is
the following:

1) There is a high correlation of network-disrupting levels of traffic
and BitTorrent;

2) Unlike some "bursty" downloads (like your CentOS ISO from an FTP
server), BitTorrent traffic has the tendency to be sustained at higher
levels for longer periods since the architecture presumes that
everyone's a client and everyone's a server and fragments are always
moving around.  This is what tends to upset oversubscription assumptions
that are otherwise functional, and are the only way that the ISP can
possibly afford to give you the bandwidth for the price of
consumer-grade broadband.

I would tend to agree with you that discriminating against types of
services and/or traffic through rate-limiting buckets and deep packet
inspection is worse than a blanket bandwidth cap.   However, you need to
keep in mind the other side of the coin;  were it not for Torrent, there
would not be a need for traffic policing (in the overwhelming
preponderance of cases) either way, so it's considered unfair to punish
everyone with a bandwidth cap on everything when in reality, it's not a
problem if their applications *occasionally* burst to very high levels
of throughput.  This is different from using up a lot of bandwidth
continuously.

My ISP doesn't care if I chug down a CentOS ISO tonight at close to my
DSL line rate.  But if I downloaded them all day long, all day, every
day, there would be a problem, but the way to solve that problem isn't
by taking away others' freedom to download a CentOS ISO when they feel
like it in principle.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems