[asterisk-users] Threading etc. (was: Re: Dahdi, b410p and looping from 1 port to another)

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Mon Dec 1 15:41:44 CST 2008

Wilton Helm schrieb:

> This is an opportunity for me to ask a question regarding this mailing list.  I've worked with several other groups using a variety of communications techniques from Web based to news reader based, but never anything like this.
>
> Due to my lack of experience (and/or wrong tools) this looks totally like chaos.  Asterisk messages come in with no apparent thread ordering other than noticing the subject line.  They are all mixed up with my general E-Main (and spam, which they exceed in volume).  I can't reply to them, as the To line generated isn't viable.
>
> Is there some organizational structure I am missing here?  I am using XP and OE 6 for E-Mail, which may not be that friendly towards this type of situation.  It does have a very good newsgroup reader that I regularly use for another group I am part of, and I would be much better served by that than by having it all land in my general in-box at the rate of 100 a day, all mixed up with my personal and business correspondence.

Most mail readers I know support a threaded view (they read the
References header).
And in most MUAs or servers you can define a filter / processing
rule so you can store mails matching a certain rule (
List-Id header contains "asterisk-users.lists.digium.com" or
To contains "asterisk-users at lists.digium.com" or
Sender contains "asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com")
in a separate (IMAP or local) folder.

Outlook is one of the worst mail clients because it gets every-
thing wrong every time.  :-)

In fact the difference between a newsgroup and an email list is
basically non-existent. Newsgroups scale much better but that's
it.

Hijacking treads instead of starting a new one for a new topic is
bad because for people who use a threaded view the messages show
up in the wrong thread. And it's bad for the archives as well.

   Philipp Kempgen

--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com
Amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de