[asterisk-users] CDR Design

JD jdupuy-list at socket.net
Mon Dec 1 10:55:02 CST 2008

Steve Murphy wrote:
> [...]
>
> Everyone--
>
> I've just made some major changes to the CDRfix2.rfc.txt
> file in http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/murf/RFCs
> to accommodate the Leg approach instead of a
> channel-based approach.
>
> Greyman is correct. By cutting the timeline into legs,
> we avoid all the nasty channel state problems, or so it
> appears thus far. I threw out all the text about
> channel/peer state, fleshed in all the example
> cases, etc.
>
> I added a section describing the linkedID field.
>
> I provide a list of CDR record types at the end,
> that will eventually be expanded to describe each
> field that set in that type, and what they mean.
>
> The types so far are:
>
> 3WAY
> AXFER
> AXFER1
> AXFER2
> BARGE
> BXFER
> CALL
> CONF
> HOLD
> PARK
> RECALL
> RECONN
> USER
> WHISPER
>

> murf

I love it! You will have it done later today, correct? (joke.)

Just a non-technical/social suggestion: don't call this CDR. Call it
"Enhanced CEL" or something like that.

Why?: because otherwise you will forever get arguments about it.
Traditionally, a CDR is one line per call; all inclusive. And as you
know, that is a horrible standard for todays complex systems; but it is
what it is.

So, perhaps Asterisk should not build native CDR at all. It should build
your "Enhanced CEL". A separate perl/ruby/etc script could be included
in the Asterisk distribution that build the "CDRs" after the fact. Or
multiple CDR scripts based on the flavor-of-the-day of what CDR means.

Just my thoughts. I very much look forward to your code. This will make
my life so much easier.

John