[asterisk-users] Asterisk IVR Scalability

Luis Morales fastonion at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 14:00:57 CDT 2008

hi,

I have an similar platform. About your question see bellow:

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Sriram <d_r_sriram at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My Scenario is to implement Asterisk in a Call center.. I;ve TE420 Digium
> card and plan to terminate 4 PRIs (E1) on it. I;ve 30 Agents inside..Since
> its a PRI i m not using any hardware echo cancellation module.The calls
> would first land on Asterisk and depending on the options would be
> transferred to the Agent. I've read lot of opinions on voip-info.org giving
> asterisk hardware dimensions. I would like to take a final call depending on
> your expert answers :
>
> Scenario : There would be 120 calls for sure during a 2 hour period of a day
> , rest of times it would be serving max. 50 calls. No matter how many calls
> come only 30 would be able to talk to agents rest would be listening to some
> files on the IVR or be involved in some polling..This is what the client
> wants as of now but he needs a scalable solution depending on traffic..
>
> Queries :
>
> 1. For this initial setup Will a Dual processor (Xeon) with 2 Gigs of RAM
> with TE420 be able to handle the load ? All my agents would be using the
> softphones

I will suggest  4G and Gigabit network with Vlans.

> 2. What should be the ideal CPU load that i need to watch - may be if the
> load average crosses 6 or 7 - should i worry ?

Better than CPU load look into network overhead

> 3. Even though i m adviced against AGI scripts (as they eat precious CPU
> cycles)- they seem very powerful and i m desperate to use them...Will the
> above setup get hampered in any way if i use them ?

Did you have php, perl, phyton, AGI CLI  for agi scripting ?

> 4. Now scalability - If i want to increase the agents to 50 from 30 and add
> another PRI - what are the areas i should focus on - another machine ? or
> some additional RAM and processor ?

Yes i suggest another machine if you want add another PRI.

> I;ve been working all along on Dialogic but want to shift to Asterisk as it
> has lot of features and just fits in my needs (PBX + IVR in 1 box! ).
>
> Please advice
>
> Thanks in advance
> Sriram

Luis Morales
Consultor de Tecnologia
Cel: +(58)416-4242091
"Empieza por hacer lo necesario, luego lo que es posible... y de
pronto estarás haciendo lo imposible"

Leonardo Da'Vinci