[asterisk-users] Asterisk IVR scalability

Sriram d_r_sriram at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 07:17:09 CDT 2008

Hi

My Scenario is to implement Asterisk in a Call center.. I;ve TE420 Digium card and plan to terminate 4 PRIs (E1) on it. I;ve 30 Agents inside..Since its a PRI i m not using any hardware echo cancellation module.The calls would first land on Asterisk and depending on the options would be transferred to the Agent. I've read lot of opinions on voip-info.org giving asterisk hardware dimensions. I would like to take a final call depending on your expert answers :

Scenario : There would be 120 concurrent calls for sure during a 2 hour period of a day , rest of times it would be serving max. 50 calls. No matter how many calls come only 30 would be able to talk to agents rest would be listening to some files on the IVR or be involved in some polling..This is what the client wants as of now but he needs a scalable solution depending on traffic..

Queries :

1. For this initial setup Will a Dual processor (Xeon) with 2 Gigs of RAM with TE420 be able to handle the load ? All my agents would be using the softphones
2. What should be the ideal CPU load that i need to watch - may be if the load average crosses 6 or 7 - should i worry ?
3. Even though i m adviced against AGI scripts (as they eat precious CPU cycles)- they seem very powerful and i m desperate to use them...Will the above setup get hampered in any way if i use them ?
4. Now scalability - If i want to increase the agents to 50 from 30 and add another PRI - what are the areas i should focus on - another machine ? or some additional RAM and processor ?

I;ve been working all along on Dialogic but want to shift to Asterisk as it has lot of features and just fits in my needs (PBX + IVR in 1 box! ).

Please advice

Thanks in advance
Sriram