[asterisk-users] Wi-SIP vs. SIP-DECT

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Aug 31 04:45:53 CDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> "Michael Graves" <mgraves at mstvp.com> writes:
>
>> DECT was designed from the start to handle voice and data.
>
> 553kbps isn't particularly useful today. Even 3G is faster.

Actually, 553Kbps is more than enough for a lot of things - eg. telemetry
transfer from hand-hend terminals over an area that a normal wired LAN
might cover - like a shop floor..

And hang on - my first broadband connection was 512Kb/s .... So I think we
need to have a bit of perspective here..

And double hang on ... What do all those hand-held Chip & Pin terminals
use?

And in the co-op yesterday, they were trialling a new system of checking
out people while in the queue with a hand-held scanner & printer - that's
obviously doing data transfers back to the shops main server...

So I think there are plenty of applications that will benefit from that
sort of data transfer speeds - maybe "modern" developers are just too
co-erced into Wi-Fi by simply not knowing about it?

> Not that I have ever seen products offering more than ISDN speeds, and
> I believe that was before 2000. DECT is excellent, but it appears that
> "the market" expects it to be replaced by 802.1<something> once power
> consumption gets low enough.

Yes. Shame. 802.11 is just too "general purpose"...

Gordon