[asterisk-users] Faxing through Zap cards

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 01:45:52 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:01 PM, James Sneeringer <jsneerin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No it's not a backup, it's the preferred way for lots of reasons. The
>> ones that come to mind:
>> 1. Same PCI slot will be able handle both, which means if properly
>> configured the RTP will not travel the MB hence no IRQ to worry about.
>> 2. One Adit 600 gives you for around $400.00 on eBay 24 FXS ports.
>> 3. You can have POTS on that Adit 600 as well, which will allow you to
>> use some lines for backup etc.
>
> I get what you're saying, but...
>
> 1. We already know the slots that the cards will go in have their own IRQs.

But you don't know if it will work. IRQ is just part of the problem,
latency and the fact it's just traveling on your MB is another.

> 2. Twenty-four FXS ports is overkill for two faxes. :)

Then just buy one with just one card, or sell the 2 cards you will not
be using on eBay :)

> 3. Believe it or not, but the office this is going into has no POTS
> lines, just PRI and T1.

Then get some POTS, since your PRI and/or T1 will go down one way, and
when the problem is outside wiring then both the T1 and the PRI will
go in most cases, specifically if they come in on fiber. The questions
is only when and how often.

> So in the end, I think we have a solution that will work, and if it
> doesn't, I will take your (and CF's) advice with the channel bank.
> Thanks.

No, in the beginning you asked because you don't have the experience
so folks like myself that do have the experience answered. It might
work for you, no one knows and you THINK it will work, it's a hit and
miss, stability is huge issue, thats where experience comes in. If you
want something that I or the other people here just think works, then
just get an ATA. If you want something we have experienced and know
that it works, then get a channel bank.