[asterisk-users] security on localhost connections

David Burgess dburgess at kestrelsp.com
Sat Aug 30 19:15:36 CDT 2008

Asterisk Users -

We are presently try to operate a hybrid GSM/Asterisk cellular
basestation at the Burning Man Festival in the Nevada desert.  (See
http://openbts.sourceforge.net).  The architecture is basically one
where cell phones are presented to Asterisk as SIP users, using the
IMSI as the SIP user ID for convenience.  (It's running off of a wind
turbine is the middle of a dust storm as my alkali-abused hands type
this.)

When we first got this system running, we were getting hammered with
service requests from phones that people left turned on.  We tried
sending the magic GSM codes for "no roaming here", but some of them
just kept coming back.  It was like a denial of service attack.  We
figured out that the best way to shut those phones up was just to
accept their registrations.  We'd send a corresponding SIP
registration to Asterisk, that would fail, but we'd report success to
the GMS handset anyway so that it would think it had service and stop
retrying the registration.

Now we've discovered a new problem: Asterisk lets these non-existent
make calls even though they are not listed as users in sip.conf.  We
suspect that is happening because they are all localhost connections,
and therefore bypassing some kind of authentication check.  These
calls also show up in the CDR, but with the SIP ids of real,
provisioned SIP users instead of the IMSIs of the phones that are
actually making the calls.  Any ideas how this is happening or how to
fix it?

-- David

David A. Burgess
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.