[asterisk-users] Faxing through Zap cards

James Sneeringer jsneerin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 10:17:22 CDT 2008

I think I have this straight, but I wanted to bounce it off anyone who
might be more knowledgeable.

We are installing an Asterisk server at a location that only has PRI.
Inbound fax comes in on the PRI with its own DID. Currently, the PBX
handling it just has a PRI port and sends calls for that DID to an FXS
port that the fax machine is connected to.

My plan was to use a Digium TE card for the PRI and a TDM card with an
FXS port to connect the fax to. I know I'll need to use the fax
detection feature to disable echo cancellation. I can't use the Zaptel
"dacs" features because I won't know ahead of time which channel the
fax calls will come in on (though I could potentially use it for
outbound faxes). So the call path would look like this:

PSTN ---> PRI ---> TExxx ---> Asterisk ---> TDMxxx FXS port ---> fax machine

Does this sound reasonable? Any gotchas I should watch out for?

-James