[asterisk-users] Reliable wireless SIP phones

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Aug 28 10:48:02 CDT 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Jaap Winius wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Are there any reliable wireless SIP phones available on the market yet?
>
> Six months ago I went for the Siemens Gigaset 675IP. Although there
> was a bug in the MWI support, unit #1 seemed fine for the first few
> weeks, so I bought #2 and #3. Then the problems started. Of the three
> units, two regularly lock up, which requires the base station to be
> reset, and two do not perform DTMF menu navigation properly (I live in
> the Netherlands). There was a recent firmware update for this model,
> but there may as well not have been. You'd think that a big company
> like Siemens that has been making rock-solid DECT phones (analog and
> ISDN) for years could do better, but apparently not.
>
> Since the firmware seems to be the same, there's no way I'm going to
> upgrade to the 685IP. I was thinking of trying out the Snom M3, but
> according to voip-info.org, that model suffers from similar
> reliability problems.

Hm. I've just bought an M3 set for a client, but the range isn't anywhere
near as good as the Siemens I've been using...

and re. the Siemens - I had that issue with the older C460IP phones - my
solution for clients was to sell them with a cheap (£5) wall timer
programmed to kill the power at 4am and come on again at 4:15. (the cheap
dial ones only have a 15-minute resolution!)

Gordon